Everyone loves that sun kissed look…but lets face it. It’s 2018 and we all know the risks of exposing our skin to UV Rays. Thankfully there are quick spray tans that can help you get summer ready without the burn! I’ve been spray tanning for over 15 years, and to be honest, I have a love/hate relationship with it. There is definitely an art to getting it right. You don’t want to end up looking like the love child of a human and a carrot! So I’m going to break down the best tips and tricks I’ve learned over the years.
- Exfoliate. You have to remove old dead skin cells so your tan will last longer. You can dry brush, use a body scrub or wash with a loofah. Pay extra attention to the thicker skin around your knees, elbows and ankles.
- Shave. Don’t wait until after, it will remove your color along with the hair.
- Bare skin is best. No makeup, no lotion, no deodorant, no perfume. Don’t apply anything that will put a barrier between your skin and the tanning solution.
- Wear baggie, dark colored clothes to your appointment and flip flops. I always wear a black maxi dress. This is not the time to wear your favorite white skinny jeans!
- Remove all your jewelry.
- Put some kind of lip balm on your lips.
- I like to spray tan “au natural” so I don’t have any tan lines. If you prefer to wear something, make sure its something old because the spray tan solution will most likely not wash out of it.
- Put your hair up into a high ponytail and put that pretty “granny” shower cap on that your tanning salon provides. Make sure it is just over your hair line and behind your ears (I learned this the hard way. Can you say striped forehead? Not cute!)
- This is an important one…put one of the towels on the floor of the booth to stand on while you tan! The worst thing is to have the bottom of your feet tan. It doesn’t look natural and is a dead giveaway of a rookie tanner.
- Use the barrier cream provided by your tanning place. Put it all over your feet and a little up your ankle, between your toes and all over your cuticles. Same with your hands. Up your wrist a little, between your fingers and all over your cuticles. Be generous with it. I even put a touch on my eyebrows.
- Follow the directions of the spray tan booth. When being sprayed don’t squint your eyes or you will end up with tanning “creases” on your face. And you need to “squat” a bit. Awkward? Yes. But do it or you will have the untanned “butt crease” (again, not cute!)
- After you are done being sprayed, let your skin dry for a few minutes. Step out of the booth and gently towel off.
- Remove your pretty granny shower cap.
- I always bring baby wipes (although most tanning salons provide them) and wipe off your hands and feet, wrists, ankles, between your fingers and toes, nails and cuticles, ears and eyebrows.
- Get dressed in your baggie clothes and go to the restroom and wash your hands! I’m obsessive about not having spray tan on the palms of my hands.
- Try to leave your spray tan on for at least 4-8 hours before you shower or workout or sweat.
- When you take your first shower do not exfoliate. You will see color color running down the drain, but it is NOT your tan, its just excess bronzer.
- Be sure to keep your skin super hydrated daily to extend the life of your tan!